We welcome you to contact any of us with your ideas, as well as with any concerns you have about the current climate in the department.
Departmental resources for undergraduates
- Stanford has a chapter of the Society of Physics Students. Those interested should sign up for the SPS mailing list (if you aren't already subscribed).
- Physics Undergraduate Women and Gender Minorities at Stanford (PUWMAS) is Stanford's first student group entirely dedicated to undergraduate women and gender minorities interested in Physics. If you're interested, sign up for the PUWMAS mailing list (2017-18) to learn about upcoming events and opportunities of interest.
- Learn about summer research positions in the department for undergraduates.
Departmental resources for MS, Ph.D. students
- The Graduate Students of Applied Physics and Physics organize various departmental events for Ph.D. students, including NOMS (Networking Outreach Meals for Science) and Graduate Women in Physics.
- Graduate Women in Physics organize social, educational, and professional development programs for women in the Physics and Applied Physics departments. Join the apgradwomen mailing list here, or for more information, contact Claire Hebert or Connie Hsueh.
University programs for students
- Leland Scholars Program for incoming minority / first-generation students interested in STEM fields
- SURGE, Undergraduate Research Program in Geosciences
- Stanford Diversity Exchange with HBCUs
- Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship Program
- Summer Research Early Identification Program for external students
- DARE fellowship program for advanced grad students
- EDGE fellowships are also for graduate students (by nomination only)
- One unit courses at Stanford:
- BIO225: Gender in Science
- ENGR 311A: Women's Perspectives
- ENGR 311C: Expanding Engineering Limits: Culture, Diversity, and Gender (FEMGEN 311C)
Institutional resources at Stanford
- Graduate cash advances allow you to adjust the timing of your financial support, without incurring any interest or fees.
- VPGE recently announced initiatives for graduate student families, including revised childbirth and lactation policies and well as a needs-based Family Grant based on the Escondido Family Fund.
- Stanford Institutional Equity & Access
- Vice Provost for Graduate Education Diversity Initiatives
- Vice Provost for Faculty Development and Diversity
- Diversity in Office of Postdoctoral Affairs
- Diversity in Hiring (Staff)
- Diversity in Undergraduate Admissions
- Diversity Works @ Stanford
- Office of Accessible Education
- Schwab Learning Center
- Stanford Title IX Office
Other university programs
University groups and resources for students and postdocs
- BEAM hosts various events and resources for undergraduate students, Ph.D. students, and postdocs exploring career opportunities within and beyond academia.
- Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) peer mentoring groups are open to interested women Ph.D. students and postdocs.
- The Stanford American Indian Science and Engineering Society supports Native American students in STEM fields.
- The Society of Black Scientists and Engineers (SBSE) is the Stanford chapter of the National Society of Black Engineers and sponsors weekly academic and career events.
- The Stanford chapter of Out in Science, Technology, Engineering, & Mathematics (oSTEM@Stanford) is an LGBTTQQIA+ and ally-affirming organization hosting queer speakers and social events throughout the year.
- The Stanford University Student Parent Alliance supports pregnant and parenting students and postdocs at Stanford.
- The Muslim Student Union organizes weekly prayers, study groups, and other events for the Stanford Muslim community.
Student Affairs offices
- BEAM (discussed above)
- Graduate Life Office
- Women's Community Center
- Black Community Services Center
- Stanford Centro Chicano y Latino
- Native American Cultural Center
- Asian American Activities Center
- Diversity and First Gen Student Office
- Office of Religious Life
- Markaz resource center
- Queer Student Resources Center
- Weiland Health Initiative
- Bechtel International Center
Summer research opportunities for undergraduates to come to Stanford
External fellowship opportunities
- Ford Foundation Fellowship Program
- L'Oreal Fellowship for Women in Science
- P.D. Soros Graduate Fellowship for New Americans
- American Association of University Women Fellowships
- California Alliance Research Exchange & Postdoctoral Fellowship
National resources and programs